Press Kit Items to Download:
- We Care Solar At a Glance
- Laura Stachel Bio
- We Care Solar Overview 2017
- Basic Solar Suitcase Specifications
- Expanded Solar Suitcase Specifications
- Annual & Financial Reports
We Care Solar promotes safe motherhood and reduces maternal mortality in developing regions by providing health workers with reliable lighting, mobile communication, and medical devices using solar electricity.
Each year, over 303,000 women die from pregnancy and childbirth complications. Most of these deaths occur in Africa and Asia. Obstetric emergencies require prompt, appropriate, reliable care. Unreliable power and communication in health facilities result in:
- Life-threatening delays in care
- Inadequate lighting for obstetric and surgical procedures
- Underutilization of health facilities
We Care Solar designs solar-powered systems to meet essential maternity care needs. Our We Care Solar Suitcases are designed to be safe, robust and efficient in powering:
- Critical obstetric and surgical lighting
- Mobile phones
- Fetal heart rate monitors and essential medical devices
Our portable suitcase-size system is immediately operational. It can be mounted as a permanent system and expanded to power computers and blood bank refrigerators.
To date, we have equipped more than 2000 health centers, and trained over 5000 health workers, serving 700,000 mothers and their newborns. We Care Solar Suitcases can make the difference between life and death by:
- Reducing delays in care
- Increasing medical and surgical procedure safety
- Increasing the capacity to care for mothers and newborns
The Solar Suitcase
Learn more about the We Care Solar Suitcase® created in our factory (shown below) for use in clinics and the We Share Solar Suitcase® created by students in the U.S. for use in schools in developing countries.
The basic We Care Solar Suitcase® is a complete systems that includes two 20 watt solar panels, a 14 amp-hour sealed lithium ferrous phosphate battery, a 15A charge controller, two LED headlamps, a phone charger, a AA/AAA battery charger, and a fetal Doppler. Hardware for installation is included, along with a users manual and users poster.