About the Solar Suitcase
Our award-winning We Care Solar Suitcase is an economical, easy-to-use portable power unit that provides health workers with highly efficient medical lighting and power for mobile communication, laptop computers and small medical devices. The We Care Solar Suitcase was originally designed to support timely and efficient emergency obstetric care, but can be used in a range of medical and humanitarian settings. For clinic installations, the yellow case becomes a cabinet that mounts to the wall, and the panels are secured to the roof. The system includes high-efficiency LED medical task lighting, a universal cell phone charger, a battery charger for AAA or AA batteries, and outlets for 12V DC devices. The basic system comes with 40 or 80 watts of solar panels, and a 14 amp-hour sealed lead-acid battery. The maternity kit comes with a fetal doppler. An expansion kit is available for utilizing larger batteries (see photos below).
Key design features include:
- Whole System Integration – The lighting appliances and power production components are delivered as one unit, designed for daily use.
- Safety – The sealed batteries can safely be stored inside health facilities; the low-voltage DC system avoids shock hazard and includes overcurrent protection.
- Low Maintenance – There are no fuses to replace, and no regular battery maintenance is required. Battery replacement is estimated to occur every 2 years.
- Durability – Our high quality components are designed for longevity, even in harsh environments.
- Simplicity – One switch turns on the system; another turns on lights and charges devices. The system is plug-and-play and can be installed without need for an experienced solar technician.
- Expandability – The 15 amp modular system is designed for expansion and can accommodate up to 200 watts of solar panels and a 100 amp-hour sealed battery.
Two versions of the expanded Solar Suitcase are shown here. For additional information about the We Care Solar Suitcase, please contact us.