- We Share Solar
The We Share Solar® Suitcase
The We Share Solar® Suitcase is an easy-to-use, easy-to-transport, plug and play, complete solar electric system that will provide power for non-medical uses. The We Share Solar Suitcase is modeled after the Tech Award winning We Care Solar Suitcase, which is designed for use in a medical facility and is built at a California manufacturing facility to very high quality specifications. Student-built We Share Solar Suitcases can be donated to the many schools and orphanages that have requested them from We Care Solar. For the receiving orphanages and schools, the We Share Solar Suitcase is easy to install and operate.
The system includes high-efficiency LED lighting, a universal cell phone charger and outlets for 12V DC devices. The We Share Solar Suitcase Kit can be purchased in two versions: 1) The Teacher Kit includes a 40 watt solar panel and 12 amp-hour sealed lead-acid battery (WSS-100-801); or 2) The Student Kit does not include a solar panel or battery which (WSS-100-501 Version). The Student Kit can be used by off-grid schools and orphanages by adding batteries and panels in country. Both kits can be expanded to provide up to 200 watts of solar power and 200 amp-hours of battery energy storage.
Key design features include:
- Whole system Integration – The lighting appliances and power production Components are delivered as one unit, designed for daily use.
- Safety – The sealed batteries can safely be stored inside health facilities; the Low-voltage DC system avoids shock hazard and includes overcurrent protection.
- Low Maintenance – There are no fuses to replace and no regular battery Maintenance is required. Battery replacement is estimated to occur every 2 years.
- Durability – Our high quality components are designed for longevity, even in harsh environments.
- Simplicity – One switch turns on the system; another turns on lights and charges devices. The system is plug-and-play and can be installed without need for an experienced solar technician.
Two Kits: for Teachers or Students
The We Share Solar Suitcase Kit comes as a complete solar electric system with all the parts necessary for final assembly. It includes an Assembly and Commissioning Guide which provides step by step directions with multi-color photos.
1. The Teacher Kit
We Share Solar Suitcase complete with battery and solar panel: WSS-100-801
2. The Student Kit
We Share Solar Suitcase without battery or solar panel: WSS-100-501
To assemble the We Share Solar Suitcase, students will mount a charge controller, receptacles, switches and ports onto a chassis. They will learn how circuits work through making each wiring connection. They will learn to test (commission) their circuits before energizing them with sun and power loads. Once the Solar Suitcase is assembled, they can monitor information on the charge controller LCD display and indicator LEDs.
The wire set comes with “quick-disconnects” professionally crimped onto the wires. The wires are pre-cut, tinned and color-coded to simplify wiring. Connections are made either by sliding on quick disconnects, screwing in a wire end or paralleling wires into a push-in slot.
The main control board manages incoming solar power and outgoing DC power to lights, cell phones and other loads. The powder-coated chassis is built to high precision and labeled for easy mounting of board components. The kit comes with all the parts needed to build the solar suitcase to a high level of function and reliability.