- We Share Solar
Read more about our experiences in the field, including projects in Malawi, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Nigeria, Haiti, Uganda, and other regions.
- Reflections from Solar Ambassador Laura Walters In 2012, We Care Solar started the Women’s Solar Ambassador Program to train more than a dozen ambitious women to become our international solar installation trainers. They studied online materials for six weeks, then came to Berkeley for hands-on training in solar electricity, maternal health care, and teaching pedagogy. Over the last 3 years, many ...
- When Light Means Life…An interview with Dr. Bwire Chirangi Dr. Bwire Chirangi is the medical director of Shirati Hopsital in Tanzania. In 2012, he told us his hospital was without electricity for up to six months at time. Dr. Chrirangi knows all too well the challenge of being a physician without reliable electricity. As an early adopter of the Solar Suitcase, Bwire can recount many experiences where ...
- When Solar Light Saves Lives by Robin Lim, CPM It’s after 3 am, and the buzzer rings by my bunk bed. I bolt up, and run to the Delivery room. This is Dulag, the heart of the Disaster zone, where Typhoon Haiyan devastated the Philippines. The buzzer means there is a birth emergency. “Lola (grandma) Robin, we have a footling breech, first time mom, fully ...
- A day in the life of a Solar Ambassador…. by Merritt Eby Gates February 10th 2014, Kisoro, Uganda What a beautiful day… I awake at 6:45 by a diesel generator. While the fumes pour in my room and the noise drowns out the morning birds, I’m reminded just how wonderful Solar Energy is. Thunder crashes and rain fills the streets of Kabale, Shannon Fulton sends a funny text, “Room ...
- “Philippine Heroes of the Night” by Robin Lim and Laura Stachel It was before dawn at the birth center in coastal Leyte when the storm began. Three women were in labor where midwife Gina practices along with her daughter-in-law and her niece. As typhoon Haiyan came closer they could hear the wind howling. The three expectant mothers and the two younger midwives became increasingly frightened. Gina ...
- Pedagogy of the Empowered – Notes from Solar Ambassador Merritt Eby Gates Caesar is an expert driver – seasoned on the roads all through the Great Lakes Region of Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania and Rwanda. “You can drive all the way around this Lake and arrive back in Kampala on the other side!” On a Sunday afternoon in Uganda, along with Dorah and Jairus, the team picks me ...
- A New Light Shines on a Ugandan Maternal Health Center It was raining in the morning when Merritt Gates (our Solar Ambassador in Uganda) and I climbed inside the cab of a pick-up truck. It didn’t bode well for our planned Solar Suitcase installation outside of Kampala. But our colleagues from Ugandan Private Midwives Association (UPMA)– Andrew and Moses – assured us that the weather ...
- Shining a light on a Ugandan maternity center It was raining in the morning when Merritt and I climbed inside the cabby of a pick-up truck. It didn’t bode well for our planned Solar Suitcase installation outside of Kampala. But my colleagues from Ugandan Private Midwives Association (UPMA)– Andrew and Moses – assured us that the weather would change ...
- Notes from a Solar Ambassador – Merritt Gates On Monday morning, I woke up early in Kalulu house, crawling out from under my mosquito net, greeted by the calming sound of straw brooms sweeping the dirt compound. One of the interns of Safe Mothers, Safe Babies (SAFE) – Anna- had already put a pot of water on the kerosene stove for coffee. We ...
- Between Life and Death We were in Malawi for three days when I asked a hospital midwife to tell me the word for pregnancy in Chichewa, the local language. “Pakati,” she told me. “What does that translate to?” I asked. “Between life and death.” I looked at her soberly, taking in the significance of what she had just told me. ...
Solar Suitcase Locations
We have over 400 solar suitcases lighting up clinics around the world. Each clinic delivers hundreds of women and infants every year, and serves thousands of people in rural communities.
View interactive map
- Field Updates
- Reflections from Solar Ambassador Laura Walters
- When Light Means Life…An interview with Dr. Bwire Chirangi
- When Solar Light Saves Lives by Robin Lim, CPM
- A day in the life of a Solar Ambassador…. by Merritt Eby Gates
- “Philippine Heroes of the Night” by Robin Lim and Laura Stachel
- Pedagogy of the Empowered – Notes from Solar Ambassador Merritt Eby Gates
- A New Light Shines on a Ugandan Maternal Health Center
- Shining a light on a Ugandan maternity center
- Notes from a Solar Ambassador – Merritt Gates
- Between Life and Death
- Isha’s Dream – Lighting up lives in Sierra Leone
- SAFE in Uganda with the Solar Suitcase
- Power to Save Lives
- A Bright Light in Sierra Leone
- The Color of Life
- Changing Lives….One Suitcase at a Time
- Passing the Baton
- Special Deliveries
- Stories from the Night
- Liberia – the power of light
- Liberia “Light Up A Life” Project
- A Solar Suitcase Finds a Home in Kenya
- Planning for Liberia
- WE CARE Solar Nigeria
- Solar Suitcases for Medics at the Thai-Burmese border
- Solar Suitcases spreading light around the world